Monday 7 January 2013

1983: EAGLE RELAUNCH (IPC)

Happy New Year!

The holiday season is over (all too soon) and it's back to work (and - therefore - back to the blog) this morning.

One of the first things I did, when I started the blog last year, was to look back at the first 18-odd months of the eighties incarnation of EAGLE (the British weekly comic), partly because I have fond memories of the photo-story era and partly because I thought it deserved (along with all British comics) a little more coverage online.

I stopped at the end of the photo-story era for two reasons: I didn't think the strip era (which continued until early 1994, so it must have been doing something right) was as interesting and because, despite having a smattering of post-1983 issues, I didn't have anything that resembled a coherent run.

I do now.

I acquired a more substantial collection (stretching from 1982 to 1987) last year (with only three issues missing) and I've been wanting to do something with them ever since.  The Christmas break finally gave me the chance to get scanning.  Hurrah.

I'm going to run these cover scans in monthly batches, partly because it makes a certain sort of sense and partly because the wi-fi I'm using is not terribly fast so there's a limit to the how much I can upload in the times it takes me to drink my morning coffee.

To get things started, here's a more detailed look at the various strips in that first new-look issue, dated 24 September 1983:













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...